To successfully update the RIM BlackBerry device, the BlackBerry Handheld Software must be installed to the PC and also to the device via Application Loader.
Install the BlackBerry Handheld Software to the PC
- Go to www.att.com/bbdownloads and follow the on-screen instructions for software download.
- Go to, and open the folder where you downloaded the "Handheld Software" software on your PC.
- Double click on the file.
- Choose the desired setup language and select OK.
- "Preparing to Install..." will display.
- The InstallShield Wizard screen will appear, click Next to begin.
- Select the desired language from the drop down list and click Next.
- Select the radio button for "I accept the terms in the license agreement" and click Next.
- The handheld software will be installed on the PC.
- Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
- Verify the BlackBerry Handheld Software is installed on the PC.
Install the BlackBerry Handheld Software to the Device
NOTE: The install process can take between 5 and 30 minutes to complete, do not disconnect the BlackBerry during this time.
- Connect the BlackBerry to the desktop computer.
- Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
Manually back up the data on the device.
- IMPORTANT: If the software offers to automatically upgrade the device, click Cancel.
IMPORTANT: Even though there is an option to automatically back up the device application data within the Application Loader Wizard, it is recommended to perform a manual back up via Backup and Restore.
Access Application Loader and follow the on-screen instructions for software install.
The Application Loader Wizard screen will appear, click Next to begin.
If prompted for the security password, enter the correct password and click Next.
A list of default applications to be installed will appear, click Next.
If prompted to backup application data, select the radio button for "Do not automatically back up and restore..." and click Next.
To start the software loading process to the handheld, click Finish.
IMPORTANT: If reloading handheld software due to an operating system issue, click Advanced and select "Erase all application data" and "Erase all currently installed applications".
The Application Loader Wizard will update the handheld.
A confirmation window will appear indicating a successful update.
Once the installation is finished manually restore the data to the device.